Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Joylent day 1

On this blog page I will now and then share my experience of living on Joylent! Underneath you can find my experience after my first day on Joylent. You can find me on reddit too!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello /r/Soylent[1] ! Underneath here I will write down my experience after my first day of drinking solely Soylent. I hope I contribute like this, since every experience differs from the other.
So today the box arrived. It's not the original Soylent from the US, instead, I ordered a spin-off called 'Joylent', made by a Dutch guy that wants to spread it outside the US. His recipe is quite alike the original Soylent recipe and can be found here[2] .
The Joylent came in a box with 10 bags and a shake-bottle. Each bag should have enough nutrients to survive the day, so the box should last you for 10 days, in theory. I'll get back at that later in my 'blog'.
I prepared the first batch according to the instructions that Joey (the guy who makes the spin-off) included. It said that I had to put in a third of the bag and fill the bottle with water afterwards (the bottle is 600ml). After that I had to add the oil (about half a tablespoon I think). I shook it for about 2 minutes and put it in the fridge for 10 minutes. The instructions didn't say anything on letting it sit but I picked that up from a video somewhere.
The Joylent was completely dissolved in a smooth liquid. Its thickness was in between milk and yoghurt. I was satisfied with the state of Joylent so I tried it.
Taste and sent
The sent kind of reminded me of cookie dough or pancake batter. Joey told in his blog that he added a little bit of banana taste, but I couldn't recognize any banana. The taste was kind of how it smelled, however a little bit more dull and musty (in a healthy way, just a little... musty). The texture was grainy, like mud with very smooth sand. I don't like the texture because it stays in your mouth after drinking, leaving the taste behind (which isn't to great either, in my opinion). I hope mixing it with more water, making it thinner, might solve that issue. For now I'll just flush my mouth with a bit of water after drinking my Joylent.
I also ordered a bottle of food flavouring to try and enhance the taste. If it doesn't work then I'll just hope to get used to the taste.
After drinking it
I noticed I got filled up extremely quickly. After about half a glas (+/- 150ml), I was full. Like I would feel after dinner. That sort of worried me, because I thought I'd get no way near 2400kcal a day. Luckily, the need of consuming got up much quicker than after normal dinner. About 90 minutes later, I took another 3-4 gulps. It seems that I take Joylent around 5-8 times a day. Still, I couldn't finish the entire bag of Joylent. In fact: I only got down half(!) the bag. I'm around 1.75m, male, 19 years old and I weigh around 60kg. I look rather skinny and my diet before Joylent was rather unhealthy (I used to skip breakfast most of the time and my dinner was pizza half the time). I think that my stomach doesn't accept so much nutrients (as in: +/- 2400 healthy kcals). I hope this changes in the future, but I recon it'll take a while.
How my body reacts to it
The first thing I noticed: farts. I farted way more than normally this evening. I suppose it has something to do with the change of diet. The only explanation I can think of would be the increased intake of proteins. My friend, who's a no-pain-no-gain kind of guy, told me he farted a lot more since he started drinking protein shakes.
My peeing stayed normal and the pooping will come tomorrow, I think. The urge to snack kind of disappeared. My smoking habit remained the same (sadly...).
I think this is all I can tell you guys after my first day of Joylent. If this post is appreciated, I will post further updates. Let me know what I could improve on my Joylent batches etc, I am fairly new to the entire thing!
Cheers,
Tom, Netherlands.
Edit: stuck with the name Joylent, thanks /u/_ilovetofu_[3] !
Edit 2: This is the box [4] (it came with a pitcher, but I took it out of the box before the photo was made.)it came in! Nothing special. He packed it all in big zipper-bags. My fridge [5] kinda looks suspicious...

No comments:

Post a Comment